Poetry is not a luxury. It is a vital necessity (of our existence). Audre Lorde
167 art works, by 192 artists from 45 countries: Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Belorussia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russie, Senegal, Serbia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, Yugoslavia
The festival is made of different spaces of time. The international Encounters take place in Friche la Belle de Mai in Marseilles, October 19 to 22. And before after these dates, we act in concert with partners to organise the festival stopovers in other spaces in Marseille, the area…and abroad. We name the whole stopovers a poetronic constellation.
From October,12 to November, 24 you are invited to follow us in our local and international itinerary : exhibitions, screening programs, performances, encounters.
Marseille and Aix en Provence
- October, 12 : Cinema Videodrome 2 for 2 screenings and an installation
- October, 17 -> November, 10 : Popular ephemeral galleries for 3 exhibitions in ADPEI, SARA Logisol, Espoir Provence
- October, 19 -> 22 : Friche la Belle de Mai for 4 days of screenings, encounters performances
- October 20 -> 14 January 2024 : exhibition in Friche la Belle de Mai
- October, 25 or 26: Art School of Art d’Aix en Provence for a screening and encounter with Le Fresnoy
- October, 27-> 28: Archives Départementales for an installation in the frame of La Nuit de l’Instant
- November, 4: Bibliothèque de l’Alcazar for a screening in partnership with iReMMo Suds, in the frame of their international conference Geopolitics of climate change in the Mediterranean
- November, 24: J’crains dégun, a screening for the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
Our videopoetics friendships will also take us international:
- October, 18 -> November, 1: [.BOX] Videoart project space, Milan (Italy) for a screening program
- October, 18 -> November, 21: Visualcontainer TV (Italy) for a screening program available 24h/24
- October, 20 -> 25: Aknoon art Gallery & Safavi Museum, Ispahan (Iran) for 2 exhibitions
- November, 2 (6.30pm): MMAG Foundation (Amman) and Medearts association (Irbid) (Jordanie) for two screening programs followed by a conversation
- November (date to be confirmed) : French Institute in Gaza and Ramallah (Palestine) for a screening in the frame of Digital November
We try our best to welcome you. Please contact us if you wish to prepare your visit.
From 2023, the team will be working on the issue of content warnings, indicating the presence of certain situations (rape, murder, genocide, torture, domestic violence, parental abuse, sexism, harassment, homophobia, transphobia, racism, validism…):
- because we want to take care of our visitors
- because we consider it is our responsibility as a cultural organisation to take note of the struggles to make colonial, patriarchal and capitalist oppressions and systemic violence visible and recognised
- because we are aware that trauma and hyper-sensitivity cannot be controlled, and can affect anyone at any time in their lives
- because we know how important it is to allow each and every one of us to make an informed choice about whether or not to see (a film, an installation, etc.), based on our own sensitivity and state of mind at the time
- because we don’t want to remain ignorant of the reality of violence in the daily lives or personal histories of many of us, and what people suffering from this kind of disorder may experience.
We’re aware that such signage isn’t a 100% reliable solution, but it’s a beneficial step that we’ve decided to take. We look forward to continuing the discussion with you.
tFrom October 26, 2023 to January 12, 2024, we offer to welcome groups and individuals for a conversation-tour of our exhibition. It is an invitation to discover la Friche and to meet an artworks selection of the exhibition. The relation to video art takes a more discreet and intimate form. Here, the visitor is no more in front of a screen, but immersed in a multidimensional and multi-sensorial space.
To book yours, contact with Tiffanie Taveau: 04.95.04.96.24 email@example.com
A sustainable approach
Since 2012, the festival is engaged in a sustainable and inclusive approach : local and responsible suppliers, waste sorting, environmental footprint reduction (eco-friendly and public transportation), an integrated communication and an “Imprim’Vert” certified printer, the use of bio-degradable or recyclable materials (plates, cutlery…).
In the same spirit, there is no VIP service, nor competition between artists….
Our commitment in term of ecology is just a part of larger effort in favour of a Human sustainable developpement: it follows the ethical, political and poetical commitment that is also guiding our aesthetic choices as well as the kind of relations we want to weave with our «audiences», the artists, our partners and within all the members of our association (staff and volunteers).
To meet us
📞 +33 (0)4 95 04 96 24
Friche Belle de Mai
Pedestrian entrance: 41 rue Jobin
Car park : rue Francois Simon
bus : lines 49 & 56, Belle de Mai la Friche stop – Night bus 582
tram : Line 2, Longchamp stop (then 10’ walk)
métro : Lines 1 & 2, St-Charles stop (then 15’ walk)
Bicycle station 2321 (rue Jobin) + bike parking
South Region, France:
Videodrome 2 -49 Cours Julien (6e)
Friche la Belle de Mai – 41 rue Jobin (3e )
Espoir Provence – 28 rue Bérard (5e )
SARA Logisol – 54 rue de Crimée (3e )
ADPEI – 18 Bd Camille Flammarion (1er)
Mairie du 1/7 – 61 La Canebière (1er)
Archives Départementales – 18 rue Mirès (3e)
Bibliothèque de l’Alcazar – 58 Cours Belsunce (1er)
Aix-en-Provence : École supérieure d’art d’Aix – 57 Rue Emile Tavan
Institut Français de Gaza – rue Charles De Gaule
Institut Français de Ramallah – rue Salam
Safavi House – Ispahan, Khaghani St
Aknoon Gallery – Tehran no 24 A.S.P. Towers،, 64th St
[.BOX] Videoart project space –Via Passerini 18
VisualContainerTV – http://www.visualcontainer.net/
MMAG Foundation – Amman, 30 Othman Bin Affan, Jabal
Medearts association – Irbid, Wasfi Attal Str.
The poster of the 36 edition of the Festival Les Instants Vidéo is created by Willly Legaud. The image is taken from the work Autoritratto all’Inferno / Self-portrait in Hell by Federica Foglia (Canada), which you can see in one of our 7 exhibitions (at Friche la Belle de Mai, from 20 October 2023 to 14 January 2024).